Hey there, creative entrepreneur! Balance has been on my mind recently. I’ve been making a conscious effort since I started this journey to find a way to balance work and play. I’m sure you started down your journey because you are insanely passionate about your business. I did too, that passion is what keeps me motivated. But because you are passionate about your business it can become totally consuming.
I can work on my business for 8 hours straight on my business. Have dinner and then dive right back into it until I go to bed. I deeply enjoy working on my business and for my business. I can easily be on the path to burnout if I don’t actively search for balance.
You Will Notice a Difference
I’ve been over here trying out things for my business, evaluating and making changes all in the name of the seemingly elusive search of work/life balance. In the last couple of months, I’ve noticed a HUGE change. I’ve been able to get closer to the perfect balance for me!
It is an uphill battle of sorts because you have to put in some work up front. See what is working and what isn’t. Then make adjustments and start the process over.
The effort really pays off though when you wake up excited to get back to work and you can allow yourself to be fully present when spending time with friends and family…instead of checking to see if you have more emails/notifications on your phone.
[Tweet “Creating Balance pays off when you can allow yourself to be fully present”]
Because of this, I’ve been able to get back to reading for pleasure, connecting with my husband during date night, making time for friends & family. I still get my work done but I’m able to put it away and be fully present when I’m not working.
I could lay out exactly what I’ve found that works for me but I can guarantee that my methods won’t work for you. But I can give you some questions that will help guide you to your own balance.
Create Balance in Your Life
- What are your priorities? You have to take an active look at what is important to you so you can make choices based on what you value.
- What priorities are non-negotiable for you? For me having a date night each week with my husband is one of the most important things. Our relationship is non-negotiable and I want him to feel like he is a priority to me.
- Set Boundaries for your business. Create office hours and schedule meetings & calls during this time. Do what makes sense for your business. If you need to meet with clients who hold 9-5 jobs consider making your office hours later in the day to give them a chance to schedule with you.
- Set client expectations about communications. Let them know when they can expect to you look through your emails and reply. Not every email needs addressing the moment you receive it.
- Let go of the need for perfection. Somedays may not go as planned but being able to go with the flow will not lead you into a tailspin. Just keep trying for better each new day.
Have questions about how to find your work and play balance? Ask below I’d love to help you out!